There are plenty of roofing options available, but asphalt shingles remain the go-to choice for many homeowners – and for a good reason. An asphalt shingle roof is proven to be strong, versatile, and reasonably priced. And when installed and maintained by a trusted roof replacement contractor like Innovative Roofing & Siding, Inc., you can expect decades of exceptional performance.
Asphalt shingle roofs, however, aren’t only made up of shingles. Here are six of their primary components.
- Underlayment – It is what lies between your shingles and roof deck and provides a secondary layer of protection from rain, snow and wind. The underlayment serves as a backup for when asphalt shingles cannot provide enough protection for your home.
- Asphalt shingles – Needless to say, your asphalt shingles are your roof’s front line. Their job is to provide the main water-shedding surface while also giving your home a stylish look.
- Ice and water barriers – Roof leak repair experts describe them as the components responsible for protecting the vulnerable parts of a roof where water can flow and infiltrate the system. These can include the valleys and chimneys.
- Starter strips – They serve as the first row of sealant that assists the roof’s water-shedding function and helps prevent moisture penetration and blow-offs.
- Hip and ridge caps – Installed as a protective bridge at the peak of the roof, these shingles complement your regular asphalt shingles and offer the finishing aesthetic of your asphalt roof.
- Ventilation system – A proper vent allows moist, stale air to exit the attic and lets in fresh, cool air. It also helps prevent ice damming and premature shingle failure by regulating the temperature in the attic space.
Searching for a “professional roofing contractor near me”? Innovative Roofing & Siding, Inc. has what it takes to provide you with the highest quality roofing system. Schedule a FREE consultation with us by calling (865) 444-6070 or by filling out our contact form today. We serve homeowners in Knoxville, TN, and the nearby communities.