Asphalt shingles are a staple in most residential properties. This kind of roofing material is available in a variety of colors, textures and styles, and is also regarded as being cost-effective, long-lasting and simple to maintain. When a roof is properly installed and maintained by a reputable roofer, you can expect decades of reliable weather protection.
One of the top searched “roofing company near me,” Innovative Roofing & Siding, Inc., discusses the main components of an asphalt shingle roof.
1. Asphalt Shingles – Asphalt shingles are a type of roof covering that provides waterproofing thanks to the usage of asphalt. The material has several properties that help to resist discoloration and damage caused by wind, fire or hail. Asphalt shingles come in a variety of forms and textures, and they’re usually multicolored to add visual interest.
2. Underlayment – The underlayment serves as a barrier between the roof covering and your home. Rubberized asphalt, fiberglass and synthetics are some of the materials available. Additionally, this component serves as a supplementary moisture barrier.
3. Ice and Water Barriers – These components are installed to protect areas of the asphalt shingle roof that are susceptible to the devastating effects of water damage, including roof valleys and the perimeter of chimneys, vents and other protrusions.
4. Starter Strips – Every reputable roofing contractor makes sure the starter strips are installed to ensure the roof’s protection against potential damage. Placed on the lower eave edge of the roof, starter strips help minimize shingle blow-offs and water intrusion during intense storms.
5. Hip and Ridge – A place on your roof where two slopes connect is known as the hip and ridge. Ridge caps, for example, are used to link the two slopes and prevent water infiltration. They also improve the appearance of your roof.
6. Ventilation System – A good roof ventilation system will let warm, damp air out from your attic. It prevents ice dams and premature shingle deterioration by keeping the attic at the right temperatures. Without enough vents, excess heat and moisture cannot escape the attic, leading to problems such as mildew and premature roof damage.
There’s no need to search “roofer near me” online when you have Innovative Roofing & Siding, Inc. on speed dial. We are a GAF Master Elite® contractor that has years of experience working with homeowners in the area to maintain, repair and replace residential roofing systems. Call us at (865) 688-2888 or fill out our contact form for a free estimate. We serve Knoxville, TN, and the surrounding areas.